Tuesday, February 24, 2009

car seats



Today I went to the local police department to have them check out my car seat for free...I wanted to make sure that I had it in correctly and that Lilley was strapped in right. Also, they will check to see if it has been recalled. You would think simple, nothing to it but I was wrong. The seat was too lose and the straps weren't tight enough around here...and I really thought I had her in good and tight. I had received my car seat through the paper for free and when the officer asked me questions about it, one of them being, has it been in an accident? No I don't know anything about it. If a car seat has been through one accident,it is no longer good to use.

Well, come to find out the car seat was manufactured in 1996 and I was informed that car seats are not to be used after ten years...I'm three years over. They told me I could purchase this brand new seat for only $35 and the money goes towards "kids safety". They then should me how the seat should be installed...it shouldn't move more than an inch side to side. The harness should be tight enough where you can't pinch any of the belt.

I am so grateful we were never in an accident, it makes me sick to my stomach knowing now that she wasn't safe in the car. If you can get your seat checked out, do.

4 comments:

Pamela Royal said...

That is so great that you had her car seat checked out, and also that nothing terrible happened when it was not positioned properly. We did that when Oliver was first born and I think it is well worth it for everyone to find a place to check out their seat. We also went to our local police department, but you can use the NHTSA's locater to find an inspection place in your area at http://www.seatcheck.org/. Thanks for posting this Heidi, it is a great reminder to us all!

Anonymous said...

Just checking in to see what is going on. Thanks for sharing what you learned about car seats, that is so good that you are on top of things!

I LOVE your new backdrop on your webpage!!! So cool. It is always fun droping in to get a glimpse of your world.

Love you guys--!

Sarah Jane said...

that is so scary! Thanks for the tip!

Giving In Blogger said...

I've been concerned about that too! I drive by the firestation every week and they have a sign out saying Free carseat checks. Every time I think I'm going to stop. Now I think I really will!